🎯From Dreams to Reality: Starting A Journey Towards a Better Life’ 🎯
After a few years of marriage, the birth of our first child, and weathering a global economic recession, I found myself finally transitioning from a night shift shuttle bus driver to a full-time realtor, uncovering a new realm of possibilities that once seemed impossible. Our family had just emerged from a dark financial hole, where pure survival, hard work, and sheer determination were our only means of escape. As we embarked on our first vacation since dealing with job losses, and rebuilding, I felt a newfound sense of hope, confidence, and drive to create a better life for my family.
That moment, captured in the random photo above on the beach, was the turning point that sparked a realization of the long, arduous journey that lay ahead. It required a different perspective, a change of gears, but the same laser focus and determined mindset that had propelled me out of survival mode we were previously in. I knew that the road ahead would be very challenging and exhausting, but I was determined to continue to unlock more potential and reach new levels of growth.
The key to my transformation was thinking backwards. I began by identifying my passions, values, and ultimate goals, both short and long term. I reflected on what I wanted to achieve in my life and what a fulfilling existence looked like to me. I even envisioned what I wanted people to say about me and remember at my funeral in the future (hopefully many decades away). With clarity and intentionality, I worked backwards from my goals to prioritize my life, identifying what needed to change, and what I had to start and stop doing.
I wrestled with questions that helped me brainstorm and focus, such as: What brings me joy? What am I most passionate about? What are my top priorities? What legacy do I want to leave behind someday? By starting with the end in mind and working backwards from that point, I was able to unlock my more potential and create better opportunities with more fulfillment for myself and my family.
In my opinion, here are some additional questions to consider if you’re yearning for a more fulfilling life.
- If you could have an entire day to yourself, what would you do to make it the most epic and unforgettable day ever?
- If you had a magical genie who could grant you any wish, what would be your wildest and most audacious dream for the future?
- If you could have any superhero power, what would it be and why does it reflect your unique strengths and abilities?
- If you could snap your fingers and have any job in the world, no worries about money or qualifications, what would you choose and why?
- What are some of your proudest accomplishments, and how can you build upon those to continue creating positive change in your life and the world around you?
- Fear can be a real monster under the bed, what are some of the biggest challenges you’re facing right now? How can you channel your inner superhero to overcome them and live a more authentic, confident, and bold life?
- Suitcase? Check. Passport? Check. Adventure craving? Double check. If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and why? What adventures awaits!
- Life is too short to not do what you love. What are some of your favorite hobbies or activities? How can you sprinkle more of that magic into your daily life?
- Surrounding yourself with inspiring people is a great way to be motivated. Who are some of the most inspiring people in your life, and what qualities do they have that you admire?
- What makes your heart skip a beat and your soul come alive? What are some of the things that make you feel the most alive and energized, and how can you create more of those experiences in your life?
- If we could hop in a time machine and chat with your future self 10 years from now. What advice would your future self give you about how to live your best life?
- Our values and principles are like the compass that guides our journey. What are some of the most important values and principles that guide your life, and how can you make sure your daily actions align with those values? What’s your true north?
- Life is a journey full of lessons. What are some of the biggest lessons you’ve learned so far, and how can you use this wisdom to create a more meaningful relationships and fulfilling life?
When you’re answering these questions, look for a place where you can be alone without any distractions. This could be a quiet room in your home, a park, or a secluded spot in nature that’s quiet (like my walks on the beach). Disconnect from technology by turning off your phone, computer, and any other electronic devices that might distract from your thoughts, just completely disconnect from technology! After that, set aside a specific time for reflection and stick to it. Maybe it’s a few minutes each day or a longer period of time once a week, but make this a routine. Some people have devotions, prayer time, meditation, whatever works for you to clear your thoughts and reflect deeper to better understand what is behind and driving your passions, emotions, and dreams. If it helps, workout, go for a jog, or walk outside. Spending time in nature is a great way to change your normal environment. Make sure you can reflect without the usually noises to gain clarity. Take a walk in the woods or sit by the water and relax with your thoughts. It’s amazing sometimes on what can happen by just changing your environment, or moving your body to get the blood flowing. Another way to process answers to some of these questions is by externally processing with other people. Consider talking to trusted friends or family members or seek the guidance of a professional counselor or engaging with our community in our FB group.
Once you have a clear understanding of your goals, it’s time to develop a plan of action. This involves setting realistic and achievable targets, breaking them down into smaller actionable steps, and taking consistent and focused action towards them. Remember, if these goals and action steps are not in writing, they doesn’t exist! So using a journal to record your thoughts and reflections is key to help you organize your thoughts and track your progress over time.
LivingAGreaterLife.com provides a wealth of resources to help you stay focused and motivated in your journey, including articles, videos, podcasts, and a community of like-minded individuals who collaborate together and strive towards intentionally creating a more fulfilling life. Not everyone is hardwired the same. Some people are great at focusing and others need a lot of support to help organize their thoughts. Don’t be afraid to ask others (especially members of our community) for help.
It’s important to remember this is a process that takes time and effort. There will be setbacks and obstacles along the way, new habits to develop, and a tougher mindset to establish that can feel really uncomfortable and overwhelming at first, but with determination, persistence, and focused hard work, and the right resources and support, you will achieve your goals. Keep pushing forward, stay motivated, set up accountability, and never, EVER give up!
A fulfilling life is not about a destination, it’s about enjoying and embracing the journey along the way. Take time to appreciate the small victories with each step, celebrate your progress with others, keep the right mindset, and don’t forget to have fun!
Here’s a short promotional video for a podcast where I was interviewed as a guest. I’m including it for this article because it helps illustrate the right kind of mindset. By challenging yourself and pushing past limitations, you can unlock new possibilities and start living a greater life.
Are you ready to embark on this exciting journey? Are you ready to start climbing to new heights? Let’s get started!